MCH researchers explore what makes us feel ‘European’

‘Europeanness’ will come under the spotlight in a major new project led by Chris Whitehead from Media, Culture, Heritage.

Chris and colleagues, including Rhiannon Mason, Areti Galani and Susannah Eckersley, have been awarded a €2.5 million grant from the Europe Union to investigate how heritage unites people from countries across the continent as ‘European’ – and how it can drive them apart.

According to the Newcastle University press release: ‘The Critical Heritages (CoHERE) project is the largest and most comprehensive study to date to explore the differences in how people, groups and institutions across Europe use the past to create a sense of belonging or non-belonging.’

Congratulation to Chris and colleagues for securing this prestigious grant! We look forward to hearing about the results in the upcoming years.

You can read the press release here:


Welcome to the MCH research blog

Media, Culture, Heritage is a new subject area in the School of Arts and Cultures at Newcastle University.

The unit brings together longstanding staff groupings associated with highly successful research and teaching programmes in Cultural Studies, Media Studies, Journalism, Public Relations, Digital Cultural Communication and Participation, and Museum, Gallery and Heritage Studies, alongside new provision in the area of Film Practice.

As well as offering teaching programmes (encompassing undergraduate degree programmes, a suite of taught Masters programmes, and postgraduate research programmes including standard and practice-based PhDs) we have a vibrant research community, and will be using this blog to tell you about what our staff and students have been doing.

Research summary:

MCH research is world-renowned and internationally-oriented. Much of our research is interdisciplinary and has strong social relevance through its engagement with public culture, policy concerns and contemporary debates in cultural and social politics. In the most recent UK Research Excellence Framework, Media, Culture, Heritage was submitted to Unit of Assessment 36 (Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management). We achieved an outstanding result in which 82% of our research was evaluated as ‘World Leading’ and ‘Internationally Excellent’.

An important part of our research is its impact beyond academia. All of our research has considerable impact or potential for impact on society. In the most recent Research Excellence Framework 80% of our research impact was rated as ‘World-Leading’ and ‘Internationally Excellent’ with the remaining 20% rated as ‘Internationally Recognised’. An example of our ‘World Leading’ research impact is Professor Peter Stone’s work on improving the protection of cultural property during armed conflict. This research has impacted on: national non-governmental organisations; national policy makers (including HM Government); and the international military. The importance of this work is brought into focus by the civil war in Syria and the resulting destruction of cultural property.

You can find out more about MCH here: